SEAFOOD AND VEGETABLE TEMPURA
...a great seafood n shrimp tempura recipe to try !
- Large raw shrimp or prawns, shelled, leaving tails on, deveined &butterflied
- Fish fillets, cut into 1"x2" pieces
- Raw scallops, if large, cut in half
- Green bell peppers, cut into 1"x2" pieces
- Sweet potatoes, peeled & cut diagonally into 1/4" thick slices
- Eggplant or zucchini, unpeeled & cut into 1/4" thick slices
- Green beans, broccoli or asparagus tips, cut into bite size pieces
- Onion rings
- Squash, unpeeled & cut into 1/4" thick slices
First of all drain seafood and vegetables thoroughly on paper towels; arrange on large platter.
FRYING OIL: Pour vegetable oil for frying at least 2" deep into frying pan. Heat to 325 degrees.
TEMPURA BATTER: Next is to mix 1 cup rice flour, 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup ice cold water in a large mixing bowl. With wire whisk, hand beater or chop sticks, stir in mix quickly only until flour is moistened and large lumps disappear. Batter should be very lumpy. Drop in one ice cube; do not stir batter after mixing.
FRYING: To fry shrimp, hold one at a time by the tail and dip into batter. Drain off excess batter slightly and slide gently into hot oil. Repeat with 3 or 4 more shrimps and other ingredients. Fry,
turning occasionally until light golden brown. Drain tempura on paper towels. Skim off pieces of cooked batter from oil with wire strainer occasionally.
TEMPURA DIPPING SAUCE: Combine 1/4 cup Kikkoman Tempura Sauce with 1
1/4 cups hot water. Serve in small bowls.
The shrimp tempura recipe is ready to serve...